Fall Semester 2016
- JROTC Middle School Presentations, January 5, 6, 10, and 11. As part of briefings by CVHS Department Leaders, Colonel Kardos presented information about the JROTC program to 8th grade students at Good Hope MS (January 5) and Eagle View MS (January 6). A team of cadets spoke about JROTC to interested 8th grade students at Good Hope MS on January 10 and at Eagle View MS on January 11.
- CV High School Blood Drive, December 2. The JROTC cadet battalion hosted the fall blood drive for the Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank (CPBB) in the Auxiliary Gym during 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM. This was the 11th semi-annual blood drive supported by the cadet battalion. During those events, the CPBB has now collected over 700 units (pints) of blood, including 67 pints from 96 registered donors during this blood drive. Thanks to everyone who worked on the blood drive and especially those who donated blood to help other members of our community.
- Harrisburg Holiday Parade, November 19. Fifty-seven (57) CV JROTC cadets marched in this annual parade that follows a route from City Island through downtown Harrisburg and back. Approximately 80 organizations marched in the parade this year, including military units, bands, dance teams, balloons, floats, and a variety of vehicles. An estimated 10,000 people watched the parade and cheered on the participants. The parade can be found at the following website: https://youtu.be/VhD9mqplkhg. Watch for our cadets marching and singing cadences at the 1:17 mark of the video. The route, photos, videos, and other information concerning the parade can be found at: http://harrisburgpa.gov/holidayparade/
- Veterans Day Events, Nov 6-11. The cadets supported the following school district and community activities during this period.
= Color Guard for the Veterans Day Ceremony at Silver Springs Elementary School, Mechanicsburg on Nov 11th.
= Color Guard for the Veterans Day Ceremony at the Traditions of America community, Mechanicsburg on Nov 11th.
= Welcoming Veterans at the Applebee's restaurants in Mechanicsburg and Carlisle, on Nov 11th.
= Flag Detail for the Silver Springs Veterans Day Ceremony at Willow Mill Park, Silver Spring on Nov 6th.
- Battalion Awards Ceremony, October 27th. The cadet battalion conducted its fall awards ceremony on Oct 27 in the Spectator Gym to recognize cadets' accomplishments in academics, athletics, JROTC duties, and community service. Our thanks to Mr. Quigley, Mr. Kirkpatrick, family members, staff and faculty, and other members of the community who came out to support the cadets.
- Retiree Appreciation Day, Oct 8th. For the fifth year in a row, CV cadets helped man registration tables and provide directions for many of the almost 700 veterans and spouses who participated in this annual event at Carlisle Barracks. Attendees visited booths and received briefings concerning current Army War College activities, health benefits, service organizations, and similar topics.
- Echoes in the Valley, Oct 8th. More than 30 cadets supported this competition which was hosted by the CVHS band. Cadets helped guide bands to their practice locations, manned booths, passed along judges' scores, helped set up and take down equipment, and more.
- Battalion Dining Out, October 6th. The cadet battalion held its annual military-style Dining Out at the Letort View Community Center at Carlisle Barracks. This formal dinner provided cadets and family members the opportunity to get to know each other better and to learn more about the program. More than 300 people attended this event, which included: the presentation of the colors, toasts, an excellent dinner, remarks from the cadet battalion commander, a slide show presentation, and recitation of the Cadet Creed. We can't wait to do it again next year!
- Battalion Meeting, September 29. During this meeting, cadets were introduced to members of the chain of command, informed about unit goals and activities for this school year, and got to know each other better.
- Hampden Township Veterans Recognition Committee Golf Outing, Sep 16. The cadets presented the national and state colors at the 6th annual golf outing at Armitage Golf Course. This event helps to raise money for efforts which recognize the contributions of the military veterans in our community. The CV band also supported this event.
- Polo Match, June 18. Several cadets supported this annual event, which is hosted by the Eagle Foundation at Hempt Farms in order to raise money for student activities. Cadets helped guide spectators to parking areas, manned concession stands, sold raffle tickets, and more.